top of page

Frequently Asked Questions about the April 2021 Election in Compton

Updated: Jan 14, 2021


CANDIDATE GUIDELINES FOR ISSUING AND SUBMITTING NOMINATION PAPERWORK In light of COVID-19 and the Stay at home Order issued by the Governor, the Compton City Clerk’s office has provided candidates with additional support and options for issuing and filing documents during the April 20, 2021 election nomination period to ensure all candidates and City elections officials have a healthy and safe environment during the candidate filing process. Please visit City of Compton General Election Information page for the details. If you have any further questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office on Monday through Thursday between 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. via phone call to (310) 605-5530 or e-mail City Clerk's Office is located at 205 S. Willowbrook Ave., Compton, CA 90220. Below, as a public service by Compton Chamber of Commerce, you will find a set of Frequently Asked Questions in regards to the candidate filing process as published by the Compton City Clerk’s office. When and where can I pick up and file my nomination documents?

The candidate filing period is December 28, 2020 – January 25, 2021 (5:00 p.m.). Nomination documents may be picked up and filed at the Office of the Compton City Clerk. By appointment.

When is the candidate nomination extension period and can an incumbent file nomination documents during an extension period?

The candidate nomination extension period is January 26, 2021 – February 1, 2021. An incumbent can’t file during an extension period as it is only for any other candidate to pick up or file their nomination documents. How soon will a list of qualified candidates be available after the close of nomination?

A listing of qualified local candidates will be published on the City Clerk’s page of the city website under Elections, and will be updated as candidates qualify. You may also contact the City Clerk’s office for information. May I change or correct the wording or spelling on my candidate statement after submission?

No, you may not. Statements cannot be changed after they have been officially filed. If I submit a candidate statement and I change my mind, may I withdraw the statement and receive a refund?

Yes, with certain conditions: The candidate statement may be withdrawn, but not changed, during the period for filing nomination papers until 5:00 p.m. the next working day after the close of the nomination period. If you withdraw your statement within this time frame you will receive a refund, but you will not be allowed to file a new statement. Can I choose the languages my candidate statement will be printed in?

No, our office is federally mandated to print our Sample Ballots/Voter Information Pamphlets in two languages: English and Spanish. May my spouse, relative, friend or campaign manager pick up and/or file nomination documents for me or can I mail them to you?

Yes, all forms may be picked up or filed by a representative of the candidate, however; if someone other than the candidate is picking up nomination papers, they must have specific written authorization to do so. Candidates are urged to file in person. The reasons are twofold: 1. The oath of office on the Declaration of Candidacy must be administered by the City Clerk, an authorized public official, or a notary public. It is much easier for a candidate to file the nomination paper in person and have the oath administered at the time he or she files; and 2. The signature of the candidate as well as other data is required on many documents involved in the nomination process. If the nomination papers are incomplete, the problem can easily be rectified when a candidate files in person. If the candidate wishes to mail the nomination papers, they must be sent by certified mail and arrive in the City Clerk’s Office by the close of the nomination period, regardless of the postmark. Am I required to file financial documents related to my campaign?

Yes, every candidate must file some type of financial documents at specified deadlines. Refer to the “FPPC Campaign Finance Disclosure Information” for more information. I am unable to complete and file any of my FPPC campaign disclosure statements by the filing deadline. May I obtain an extension and will I be fined?

No, there is no provision in the Political Reform Act that permits any filing officer to extend a filing deadline. Statements that are filed late are subject to a fine of $10.00 per day until the statement is filed. Can I place campaign signs anywhere I want?

No, there are city, county and state regulations concerning placement of campaign signs in the public right-of-way. Can I use a credit card to pay my candidate statement fee with the City of Compton?

Yes. Credit cards, checks or money orders are acceptable forms of payment. Can I go into the Office of the Registrar of Voters on election night and view the tabulation of the votes?

Yes, you can view the entire process of the vote tabulation on election night. Visit for additional information.

45 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page